Just received the news tonight that our Prophet has passed away. President Hinckley apparently died from "causes incident to old age" at his downtown Salt Lake City home, surrounded by his family.
I am sure he is now rejoicing with his wife Marjorie, who passed away on April 6, 2004. I am sad for our loss, but overjoyed for him and for her. They have been happily reunited.
I will always have a very special place in my heart for President Hinckley because he was so *real*to me. In 1993 and 1994, his granddaughter, Holly Hinckley, lived on my floor in the freshman dorms at BYU. She and I took piano together from the same professor, an Italian pianist named Massimiliano Frani. Holly had a picture of Grandpa Hinckley in her dorm room. For some reason, seeing the president of our church in a family picture, just as a grandpa and nothing more, really touched me. In 1995, I camped out with some of my friends on temple square the night before the solemn assembly at which he was officially made the new president of the church. We wanted to be sure to get in to the tabernacle to watch the proceedings. I have fond memories of that time in my life.
The world - LDS and non-LDS alike - will miss you, President Hinckley. You lived an extraordinary life filled with faith, humility, and hard work. I have been uplifted by your influence and inspired by your great faith.
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Sad, Happy Day
Posted by Yeffinerp at 10:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment