Monday, January 21, 2008

Downhill from Breakfast

For starters, you should know that my 3 month old son has been diagnosed with a "probable" milk allergy. Since he is nursing exclusively, that means *I* cannot have any dairy in my diet. Apparently, the more he is exposed to the milk protein, the greater his chances of having a severe or lifelong allergy. SO....this morning I made an emergency run to the grocery store, since I was nearly out of Rice Milk (yes, I have to have Rice Milk on my cereal). My favorite healthy cereal (notice I said favorite HEALTHY cereal, not favorite FAVORITE cereal) happened to be on sale, so I stocked up.

I stopped by my mother-in-law's house last week and picked some fresh grapefruit from her tree, so this is what I had for breakfast this morning:

This breakfast makes me feel good. Full of Vitamin C, 51% of my daily Fiber in one meal. I love to start my day this way! Sadly, it is tough to match such a healthy breakfast when it comes time for lunch and dinner. As the day wears on and my stress increases, my nutritional awareness tends to decrease. Lunch is sometimes very nutritious, when I take the time to make a turkey avocado wrap on a low-carb tortilla. However, about 3/4 of the time now, I just eat a couple of pieces of whole wheat bread with peanut butter. Sometimes I snack on Sun Chips between lunch and dinner. My *real* weakness is after dinner. When the kids are finally in bed, and I am up too late, I get the snack attack. Cinnamon toast, candy, anything will do! I've got to start going to bed earlier so I can hide from the Midnight Snack Monster.

At least the breakfast picture will remind me that no matter how the day ends, I started out with a yummy meal and good intentions! And, when I DO feel the snack monster coming on, I can satisfy him with one of these (which I got FREE with the coupon on front of the cereal box...and they are yummy):

0 comments: