Sunday, April 29, 2007

Wow - I am learning so much!

I have been doing a lot of research with regard to homeschooling in preparation for fall. My wanderings have led me to some very enlightening articles. I wanted to share. The first is a a doctoral dissertation written by Reed Benson in the early 80's. He was pursuing his doctorate degree at BYU at the time....and he and his wife had started their own homeschool! The story of his family's journey from private school to public school and, ultimately, to homeschooling, is included in his dissertation. It is very long, but a very worthwhile read. So far, I have read the section about the advantages/disadvantages of homeschooling and the section on his personal experience with homeschool. I suppose I was especially interested in his paper since he was my Religion professor my Junior year at BYU! I had some wonderful experiences with him as my professor. Here is the link to his dissertation: http://lds-nha.org/benson.pdf If you scroll down past the table of contents and all the formal stuff, it gets really good.

The next article I want to share was found on the School of Abraham website. It talks in depth about the parents' responsibility to teach their children. It also quotes a BYU president (and church authority) who suggests that the Bible refers to a time when ALL schooling will be done in the home (during the millennium). Here it is: http://www.schoolofabraham.com/dyereducation.htm

I have to say, I NEVER would have predicted that I would homeschool my own children, nor would I have thought I could be so excited about it.

0 comments: