Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Homeschool, Here We Come!!!!

Yippee!!! I am SO excited for the upcoming school year. I have decided to homeschool Elizabeth next year for 1st grade. I will have a full curriculum for her, including Book of Mormon study, Mathematics, History/Literature and Science. We will incorporate new writing and reading skills into each lesson as part of her scripture study and history/literature studies. I plan to have these lessons 3-4 days a week, in the mornings, leaving afternoons and free time for field trips, nature study, special unit studies, etc. I know, you're thinking, "that's only 4 days! What about the 5th day?" Gisele will be attending Eagle Ridge Academy 1 day a week. Eagle Ridge Academy is a school here in Mesa that offers all kinds of homeschool enrichment programs. Basically, Gisele will be attending Eagle Ridge with a bunch of other homeschooled kids. I'm hoping it will be a great way for her to interact socially with kids who are raised in homes with strong family values. There she will have classes in art, science, p.e., and writing...and she'll get to eat lunch with her friends in school, something she has wanted to do for a long time. She's so cute.

I will be working on writing and reading skills with Rory. She is only 4, so we will be concentrating on FUN ways to reinforce her alphabet, phonics, and counting skills. We will also do lots of arts and crafts and a few science experiments. She will also be attending a preschool for 2.5hours 2 days a week. Her teacher is an LDS mom who has been teaching preschool in her home for many years. Rory is excited to finally be old enough to go to "school"!

The homeschool curricula that are available now are incredible. I have already introduced some of the math concepts to Gisele and she is loving it. I feel new purpose as a mother knowing I will be so involved in my childrens' learning. I'm so blessed to have a supportive husband. In fact, he's more than supportive. Homeschool is just what he wants for our kids. He is extremely excited about it.

I'm also fortunate to have my good friend Jessica as an experienced homeschool mom. Reading her weblog where she has posted her experiences over the years really inspired me to consider homeschooling. She never mentioned homeschooling to me personally. I was simply imspired by her example. (I hope I'm not embarassing you too much, Jess!)

I also have a very good friend here in Mesa who is going to homeschool her kids starting next year. We can be novices together.

Gisele is really excited to do homeschool....but I think I am even more excited than she is! Stay tuned for more updates on this new adventure.

0 comments: